January 3, 2010

Inspiration

Before submitting daily posts, I think the inspiration for this adventure should be shared. It happened really accidentally. My husband and I have always been food lovers, and have tried to eat healthy since the beginning. He was very lucky and grew up in a household where they raised 99% of all they ate. He and his sisters had years of great nutrition, not to mention great food! I have always had a deep love for food and the memory of certain meals are some of my best recollections.

When the movie Julie and Julie was about to be released I bought a copy of the book and while at the book store bought 'My Life in France' by Julia Child. I had recently been reacquainted with Julia Child when my husband became very interested in French cooking. I bought him a copy of both books by Julia, Mastering the Art of French Cooking and MTAOFC II. He made Demi Glace for three days and was rewarded with a jar of beef heaven :) While in the bookstore I noticed a book I had wanted to buy about 6 months earlier and just didn't. It was 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' by Michael Pollen. So that went into the shopping bag as well.

To make a long story short, reading Julie and Julia lead me to My Life in France which lead me to The Omnivore's Dilemma. I liked the first few chapters so much I told my husband about them and he took the book over. I of course finished the book as soon as he was done. All I can say is if you have not read the book, go buy it now. Since then we have read several food related and food industry related books. We have watched several food industry related movies and still are reading more!

The last book I read was Barbara Kingsolver's, 'Animal, Vegetable and Miracle' and at the same time started watching the 100 Mile Challenge on TV. So that is how I got here, 60 Days eating local Finger Lakes Region NY food.

I have a slight starting advantage. We do raise chickens, eggs, beef, and turkeys! Plus I did freeze quite a few vegetables out of our garden over the summer. Big Bonus, we always make some homemade wine each fall too!


So enough of this post....let's get started :)

No comments:

Post a Comment