February 23, 2010

Sweet Corn


Last summer we grew sweet corn for the first time on our place. It was a huge learning experience, not to mention a lot of work come harvest time. I believe Ellie,Ben and I will never look at an ear of corn on the cob quite the same way again! We picked several hundred dozen ears, freezing a lot and selling a lot at the local produce auction in Penn Yan, New York. Growing the corn and reading the Omnivore's Dilemma at the same time has really brought the subjects of genetically modified seeds and corn subsidies to life. No doubt this is part of the inspiration to grow all Heritage/Non GMO plants this year for me.

Tonight I made a corn souffle using our corn and eggs and local milk,and butter. What a great dish, fluffy and with a nice crust on top. We ate this with local cabbage, potatoes and one of the meat hens I raised over the summer. Let it snow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment