March 17, 2010

Cultured Butter


I have made homemade butter several times since I started getting my milk at Galens Homestead Acres, Clifton Springs, NY. Using the cream that rises to the top of the raw milk has produced some very sweet tasting butter that melts instantly in your mouth. Making the butter turned out to be very easy and very fast. After reading about cultured butter I wanted to see the taste difference. Cultured dairy products are known to lower cholesterol and protect against bone loss, not to mention provide beneficial bacteria. The cream sits out at room temperature 8 hours before making the butter. The cultured butter is just as silky, but has a slight sour taste that compliments the sweet flavor of the butter. I lightly salted mine. Perfect! Now I just wished I had a dairy cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment